In addition to the ethical requirement for social workers to keep informed of current research, theory, and techniques that guide social work practice to better serve clients and constituents, licensed social workers must take regular continuing education classes (after their initial three year grace period post-licensure) to maintain their licensure (36 hours within each three year registration period).
Touro College Graduate School of Social Work is an approved provider of continuing education courses.
We typically offer 4-5 continuing education classes a year on a variety of themes. These are two hours long, for 2 CE hours, and are taught by GSSW faculty. Continued education courses are offered at reduced cost to Touro GSSW alumni. (Most classes are $25 for alumni and $36 for non-alumni for a 2 credit course.)
Past courses have covered topics such as:
- Internal Family Systems
- Fundraising for Social Workers
- Conflict Resolution for Social Work Practice
- Work Related Stress, Secondary Trauma & Compassion Satisfaction – Practice of Professional Self-Care
- Anti-Oppressive Social Work Practice
- Advancing Family Centered Practice with Low Income Populations with Chronic Illness
- Cognitive Behavior Therapy
- Eating Disorders
Full Day Conferences
In addition, the School offers a full day continuing education conference in the spring. The full day conference offers up to 7 CE hours in a single day and takes place on a Sunday. An Alumni Committee determines the content each year and in 2019, the conference was devoted to the theme of Therapeutic Methods. The day consisted of four thematically dedicated workshops:
- The Clinical Role of Social Workers in Hospital, health Care and Clinical Settings (2 CE hours) - Dr. Athena Motal
- Understanding Developmental Trauma: Supporting Healing and Connection (2 CE hours) - Dr. Annecy Baez
- Conflict Resolution for Social Work Practice: Micro - Macro Applications (1 CE hour) - Dr. Eric Levine
- CBT: Advanced Applications (2 CE hours) - Professor Roberta Shiffman
To receive updates on upcoming continuing education courses, please contact Dr. Eric Levine at email@example.com.
Touro College Graduate School of Social Work SW CPE is recognized by the New York State Education Department’s State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #0184.
NYSED Office of the Professions has information on CE requirements, as well as a complete list of approved NYS CE providers. Other good resources for professional development and continuing education include: